Friday, January 4, 2013

Christmas 2012

Christmas has always been my favorite time of year - I love how my house looks full and beautiful with the decorations, I love Christmas music and Christmas movies, and I love spending time with my family. This year I realized how, for a lot of people, Christmas is a time when loss and loneliness is even more pronounced.  In all of our preparations I couldn't help thinking about the families of those sweet children in Connecticut and how they were getting through the day - comparing it to how we were feeling.  It is a side to the Christmas season that I have never before experienced and I pray that it makes me a more compassionate and loving person to those around me.  I am so thankful that we have the hope and salvation that Christmas reminds us of - the birth of Jesus.  A good friend sent me a poem, "My First Christmas in Heaven" at the beginning of the Christmas season and it helped to think about how Matthew might be celebrating this year. We miss him so incredibly much and did especially when we were opening stockings and making Christmas dinner together - I will always remember last year Matthew making his jello dessert with Henry on one hip. I can only imagine that in these moments we were missing him Matthew was experiencing joy, wonder and beauty beyond our understanding. 
I don't think any of us knew what Christmas would be like this year but I really believe that God knew what we needed and for me it came in Jane and Henry. Their faces full of joy and shouts of excitement during the day helped to remind me that God loves us and that until we are no longer on this earth we need to live for Him fully and completely. To say it much better than I ever could, these are the last two verses to a hymn I love, Abide with Me.

I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless;
Ills have no weight, tears lose their bitterness.
Where is thy sting death? Where grave thy victory?
I triumph still, abide with me.

Hold thou Thy cross, before my closing eyes;
Shine through the gloom, and point me to the skies.
Heaven's morning breaks, and earth's vain shadows flee;
In life, in death, Lord, abide with me.



Jane and I went over to help my parents decorate their tree this year. It's the first time I've helped with their tree since I got married so it was fun seeing all of the old ornaments and remembering who gave them to us. Jane really liked all of Nana's Disney ornaments. 




I included some more pictures from Jane's preschool program that I got from my mom. Henry watched from his stroller - it won't be long little man!



This was the first time the kids had ever met Santa. Jane did not hesitate to ask for the rapunzel tower she wanted.



We attempted some family pictures while everyone was dressed nicely.




The kids and I colored some Rudolph ornaments together.



My sweet little Rapunzel :)


The Christmas Eve service at our church this year was beautiful and magical. As we sang Silent Night and walked out of the church it started snowing! 


Jane sang Away in the Manger with the children's choir.



For the past few years it has been a tradition to have chili and clam chowder at the McConnell's house on Christmas Eve.


Jane wanted dessert. 



I warned him if he didn't pose normal I would just post it anyway :)


Helping Shelby open the presents Jane helped me pick out.


I saw Christmas as the perfect opportunity to get some more use out of the kid's wedding clothes. Henry looked SO handsome!





Henry decided "Aunt Shay Shay" needed to help him open everything, starting with his one Christmas Eve present - a hat from Aunt Megan. He has worn it every day since!


Jane got some new princess pajamas.



What a heartbreaker!



After children were all snuggled in their beds we started making things for dinner the next day :)


It was fun this year because Jane remembered right when she woke up that it was Christmas morning. It took Henry a little longer. 




Santa brought just what she asked for!!


Mom and I picked out matching PJs for everyone this year, and everyone actually played along! :)




Jane's gift from us, her own camera!



Nana and Papa got Jane a few new costumes - her favorite is Merida from the movie Brave.


Jesse, from Toy Story, is my favorite. 


A Sugar Plum Fairy costume from Aunt Megan!



The newlyweds! I bet they wished they were sleeping in! :)


A Jake pirate ship from Aunt Shaina.



Grandma Mary sent read-a-loud stories for both kids and they loved them. Jane stopped everything to listen to the story of Baby Jesus.


Henry had to take a break for breakfast. There are priorities! 


New remote-controlled cars from Nana and Papa.



My mom put her son-in-laws to work. Matt got to ease into it this year, his job was to taste-test the gravy  :)




The past three years we've made a birthday cake for Jesus. It is a fun tradition and this year Aunt Megan ordered us one so I didn't have to make it! It turned out to be the favorite dessert of the day too.




Someone was all tuckered out after her busy Christmas! It wasn't the end though! Two days later we headed up to Crested Butte for Christmas with Grandad, Gramma and Aunt Emily! Coming soon....







6 comments:

Anonymous,  January 6, 2013 at 7:57 AM  

Love the matching PJs! Jane in that Jesse costume and Henry in that suit are just too much! We were just at Disney World and every time my mom and I saw a cute little girl in a princess costume we would say "look at that little Jane".

Anonymous,  January 6, 2013 at 7:57 AM  

I almost forgot, Congratulations to Nathan!!!

Ginny,  January 6, 2013 at 5:55 PM  

I tried leaving a comment before and I guess it didn't work. Just wanted to say your kiddos are so precious and I know they bring so much joy to you through this hard time. My prayers are still with your family... your words written were so beautiful. Miss you friend!

Unknown,  January 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown,  January 10, 2013 at 1:49 PM  

Merry Christmas And Happy New year Dani.. Tell Jane Happy Birthday I know that's coming tomorrow!
I've loved watching your Family grow. Thanks for sharing with me

Sarah,  January 12, 2013 at 2:21 AM  

I loved reading your post Dani! It was beautifully written. Thank you for sharing. You also have gorgeous kids & I'm so glad they brought so much joy this Christmas. Miss you!!

Blog Archive

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP